Sunday, September 7, 2008

"Our Favorite Friends"

Said with a really low, throaty voice with a weird sounding accent. This is what our friend Heather called us as she was saying a blessing on the food at our apartment 8 years ago. In the prayer, she was thanking us for having them over for dinner but she forgot our names and in that low, throaty, weirdly accented voice that we talk in when we're together she said, "thanks to...uh...'our favorite friends' for having us over for dinner..." And the rest is history, we had a big laugh and have never let her live it down.

Needless to say Ryan and Heather are some of our best buddies and they came and visited us along with their 3 beautiful girlies over Labor Day weekend. The guys started out the weekend with a little tennis and Heather and I went and boogyed to a little Rage Against The Machine at the gym. It was soooo fun and Heather was awesome. (I'm the one in the middle and she's on the left - J/K)
We then headed up to the mountains an hour and a half away to find our camping spot for the night. We found an awesome spot right on the lake with our own private beach front. We kept wondering how in the heck we got such a perfect spot on a Saturday afternoon during Labor Day weekend. Apparently we missed the memo stating that we were in the windiest camping spot this side of the rockies. These are some pics from before we actually TRIED to sleep that night. Notice our happy faces (cause they weren't so happy in the morning).
We all (minus Ethan who is our champion sleeper who slept the whole night without waking once) tossed and turned throughout the night as the wind thrashed against our tents. Heather and Ryan had to re-stake their tent as their feet were being lifted off the ground from all the wind. They also took off their rain fly during the night to lower the noise level then had to turn around and put it back on once the rain, thunder, and lightning started up. Meanwhile Chad and I had a huge laugh at around 2:30 after neither of us had slept a wink as Chad called it "the night the wind blew" - which I have to say is not as funny now that I've gotten some sleep but in my sleep deprived state of mind he couldn't have said anything funnier.
The next morning we hurried and packed up because the temperature had dropped so low it was unbareable, at least for me who becomes totally disfunctional in any type of freezing weather. I spent the morning sitting in the car. We couldn't check into the hotel til 3pm that day so we had about 5 hours to kill. Since it was so cold and rainy we couldn't do anything but drive around, take a LONG lunch and then sneak into the hotel a couple hours early and go swimming. We were so glad to spend the second night in a warm hotel.

So the weather wasn't the best but we still had so much fun with you guys!! Thanks for the memories and the laughs! Next time we promise better weather.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Fun to have friends come visit. So are you keeping Tido? I can't picture you with a dog either Wendy. May be a new adventure for everyone. Looks like Ethan really likes Tido

Emma Jo said...

Sounds fun (minus the wind and cold). I'm always up for a nice hotel stay instead of sleeping outside! And I love the dog, he's adorable!! Every boy needs a dog.

HeatherK said...

We had the BEST time!!! I would turn around and do it all again (weather & all) to hang out with you guys again! Thanks for all the laughs.. by the way you can delete that part about me forgetting your names durning the prayer.. I'm such a loser he he he
We love you guys!

HeatherK said...

We had the BEST time!!! I would turn around and do it all again (weather & all) to hang out with you guys again! Thanks for all the laughs.. by the way you can delete that part about me forgetting your names durning the prayer.. I'm such a loser he he he
We love you guys!

Mindi said...

Wendy! I just found your blog through the Fairhurst blog. This camping trip you had reminds me of the time we went up near Aspen Grove and somehow your tent was without poles. We still giggle about the two of you in a tent proped up only by a camping chair. We leave for a camping trip tomorrow, it might just snow...but I hope not.