Monday, September 15, 2008

Another Milestone

Ethan played soccer on Saturday. This may not seem like anything spectacular for most but for Ethan this is quite a big milestone. Although he has enjoyed playing soccer the last couple of weeks, he's been too scared to actually play when it comes to scrimmaging or actual games. He'll stand in the middle of the field and cry. As some may have noticed Ethan is a thinker and on top of that he's a perfectionist so he's been feeling like he's not good enough. Of course we encourage him as much as we can but we unfortunately can't just make him play (trust me, we've tried), he's got to make that decision for himself.

On Thursday after practice (having not played in the scrimmage game with his team) Ethan proclaimed that he would play in the 'real game' on Saturday. Chad and I had our doubts but we decided to keep him on the team a little longer and let him have another chance. Saturday came and I could tell Ethan was nervous. Even during soccer pictures he started crying and I wasn't sure he'd actually play. But on the way to the field his coach grabbed his hand and made him run along with the rest of the team. I don't know what he said but somehow, during 2nd quarter Ethan stepped onto the field, the ref blew the whistle, and he kicked the ball. And then he actually ran around with the team and did some really great kicks. It was a 'proud mommy moment' for me as I had to inconspicuously wipe away some tears (luckily I was wearing sunglasses). He did it! He concquered his fear and was actually playing soccer with the rest of the team. I was so amazed and so proud. I could see his confidence level rise throughout the game. He even made a goal, well sort of. He kicked it towards the goal and then a kid from the other team inadvertently kicked it in for him, but we make sure to tell him he's the one that made the goal. On the drive home he said, "Soccer is actually really fun!"
And here's the proof that he actually played:
I'm so proud of you Ethan! Go Dinos!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Good job Ethan! Hey...Isaac's soccer team was the Dinosaurs too. Funny.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO ETHAN!!! I think those soccer games are so fun to watch. I've seen one of Isaacs and it's hilarious.

Keidi02 said...

I played soccer for 4 years and never scored a goal, good job Ethan