
Since I love this soup so much I thought I'd share the recipe. I wouldn't dare eat it without homemade croutons so I'll include that recipe too.
Tomato Basil Soup
16 Large Roma Tomatoes, peeled, and seeded
12 Cups Tomato Juice
50 Leaves Fresh Basil
3 Cups Half and Half
1 Cup Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Blanch tomatoes in very hot water until skin splits. Peel tomatoes and seed. Place tomatoes and juice in stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 min. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to stock pot. Place the pot over medium heat, stir in half & half and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until butter is melted. Do not boil.
Serve with croutons, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil if desired. Serves 12
Editor's note: We have a family of 3 so I half the recipe and we always have a lot of leftovers. I use half milk and half cream instead of half & half. I used half & half once and it gave it a weird texture. Once I peel and seed the tomatoes I puree them in the blender with the basil and then add the mixture to the pot with the Tomato Juice and then simmer for 30 minutes.
Croutons
Cut cubes of bread (I use french bread)
Melt about 1/4 Cup Olive Oil and 1/4 Cup butter
Add it to the bread in a larg bowl and mix.
Heat oven 375 degrees
Place croutons on cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes, turn bread and cook for another 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Season with any seasonings you'd like. I usually use garlic salt and paprika.
ENJOY!
1 comment:
looks delicioso!
Post a Comment