Within in the last month or so Ethan and I have had a couple conversations about the validity of Santa. He's at the age where he's finally starting to question it. In a way I'm kind of looking forward to when he finds out because then I don't have to skirt around all his Santa questions anymore. On the other hand I'll be kind of sad for him when he finds out he's not real cause that's when Christmas becomes less magical for a kid.
One of our first conversations went a little like this. Honestly, these conversations are always a little uncomfortable for me.
Ethan: "Is Santa real?"
Me: Pause (I'm thinking, this could be it. Here's my opportunity to out Santa)..."That's something you'll have to figure out on your own."
Ethan: "I think you might be Santa...I can't believe I just said that! I've thought it before but I 've never actually said it."
Me: Chuckle..."You're going to have to figure it out on your own whether he's real or not."
Ethan: "I know how I can find out."
Me: "How?"
Ethan: "I can look at your bank account before Christmas and then I can look at it after to see if there's any money gone...OR I can look at the handwriting on the presents."
Me: Chuckle...
Ethan: "I think it is you. You're kinda laughing a lot."
In our second conversation he asked how Santa gets all the presents to everybody. I answered, "Its magic."
Ethan replied, "But there isn't magic in this world. So he must not be real."
Should I have told him? I couldn't. I can't be the one who squashes all his Santa fantasies.
3 comments:
Ha ha! Don't worry, I never told either. My older two just sort of "know" by this time. When they started to ask, I told them if they didn't believe, Santa might not show up *wink, wink*. That way they understood they had to keep the secret for all the younger kids in the world. The worst was that girl in our kindergarten carpool who insisted on telling everyone over and over that her parents told her Santa wasn't real. She also liked to tell all the kids that Halloween was of the devil. :)
Ethan sounds like such a fun kid.
We've had the same conversations with Brinley. I just ask her if she believes there is a Santa and if she does, then he stops by. If not, no more Santa. We played secret Santa a lot last year and Brinley thought that if Santa had that much fun giving out gifts, then she believed in him.
As for the mall Santa, I've told her that he had lots of helper santas cause he is really busy at the north pole. Her cousins and friends tell her he's not real, but As long as she believes in him, he's real.
OH I love that!!! I think this might be Bailee's last santa year. It makes me kind of sad.
Post a Comment