Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lessons of Faith

Faith has been on my mind a lot lately. More specifically having faith in trials. I think it was a culmination of Ethan going to school all day and us coming up on our five year mark of trying to have a baby that really set me in a downward spin as far as faith goes. I found myself wondering if Heavenly Father really knew my heart and understood the aching that I feel. I wondered if He really did hear my prayers. I wondered how I could find peace. Plain and simply I really had felt abandoned by God. And in those moments when I feel the weakest, He always sends me those tender mercies to show me that He is there and He does know my heart. And this time it came in the form of Elder Holland:

"Whenever these moments of our extremity come, we must not succumb to the fear that God has abandoned us or that He does not hear our prayers. He does hear us. He does see us. He does love us. When we are in dire circumstances and want to cry, "Where art Thou?" it is imperative that we remember He is right there with us - where He has always been! We must continue to believe, continue to have faith, continue to pray and plead to heaven, even if we feel for a time our prayers are not heard and that God has somehow gone away. He is here. Our prayers are heard. And when we weep He and the angels of heaven weep with us." (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)
That was written just for me in the moment that I truly needed it. Pure inspiration. I've come out of my pity party having a greater faith and understanding that I am not alone. He does hear my prayers.

And then there's Nephi. I always find strength in those great examples I read about in the the scriptures and Nephi is a perfect example of a man with pure faith. After his brothers had just tried to kill him and then they finally let him go he says:

"Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." (1 Nephi 18:16)
I want to be like Nephi. Who am I to complain about my trials when I have been blessed with SO much. It's all about faith. Trusting Him. Aligning my will with His and accepting it. And not complaining about it.

8 comments:

Moreau's said...

Thank you for that soul touching post! I needed to hear that quote from Elder Holland! Thank you!

ANG said...

This was me this past week...and I learned the same lesson (different trial, same desperation) - but Elder Holland's quote says it best. Thanks for posting it! The Lord reminds us with his tender mercies that he IS there - and that he will make everything right...in his time. It is about faith - and letting our trials shape us, teach us patience, compassion, gratitude...etc.
BTW - I LOVED the picture of you in official recess monitor glory.

momofbeegees said...

That was soooo inspiring! Thanks! :)

Abby said...

You are wonderful! Thanks for sharing the "trial of your faith." And by the way, looking good down there in your "mall cop" getup.

jen said...

What a great/inspirational thing to share. I think we all have felt this at different times in our lives and it is so affirming to know that even our prophets have faith-shaking trials and answers for us today. I love that we really can receive answers through our scriptures.
Thankyou for sharing this.

Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing Wendy. I have had the same thoughts and feelings. It's good to know we're not alone even as our friends have trials.

New school year, new schools, changes at chruch, family circumstances all take a toll on our hearts and minds. Your thoughts were timely! Love you guys, Jenn =)

AnnieB said...

Beautifully said and wonderful quote. Did you read C-Jane today? She addresses her problems with fertility too. I love you and I'll be praying for you!

The Bullocks said...

oh Wendy, you are such a good example. I still think about you and am keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for the great quote.
I LOVE the orange vest. that is so cute, I actually think I would like that job. it would be fun to see Bailee at school, especially while she still thinks it's cool.