Monday, March 9, 2009

Never Mess With Chocolate Milk Friday

There are two things you need to know about Ethan:

1. He's afraid of dolls.
2. Chocolate milk Friday is the highlight of his week.

I'm not exactly sure why or how Ethan became afraid of dolls, but he has a strange phobia with them. He hates to be in the same room with them. If he absolutely has to be in the same room with a doll he'll strategically place himself on the other side of the room. I think it started when he was about four years old when my sis and I were showing him a doll and explaining that dolls are like fake babies. How were we supposed to know that the phrase "fake baby" would be traumatizing him 2 years later?? Mistake #1: Calling a doll a fake baby.

On Friday I went into Ethan's class to help with the Dr Seuss party. His teacher asked me to get 10 milks from the cafeteria. Not really thinking twice about it I went and got 10 white milks, knowing that one or two of them would be used for the green eggs we'd be making. Mistake #2: Forgetting to get chocolate milk. As Ethan and I were walking out of the classroom to go home, Ethan told me how disappointed he was that he didn't get chocolate milk that day. Mistake #3: Admitting that it was my fault that he didn't get his chocolate milk. Never admit such a flub. Not only did he not get his chocolate milk, but it was his own mom's fault that he didn't get it!

We headed up to my sisters that day where Ethan refused to come in. Weird, cause he loves Courtney and Maddie. He stayed out in the locked car for about a half an hour (don't worry I was watching him from the window). He was even crying out there. Hard. I went out and very impatiently tried to get him to come in. He wouldn't. Chad, who was also at Courtney's, went out to try and get him to come in. After a few minutes Chad comes back in to do a "doll sweep." Ethan sent Chad on a quest to get rid of any doll that might be in sight before he would come in. Duh. I totally forgot what an issue dolls are for him. He came in but wasn't really being himself.

Courtney: "What's wrong Ethan?"
Ethan: "Well...I'm just having a really bad day."
Courtney: "Why?"
Ethan: "I didn't get my chocolate milk today at school."
Me: "Tell her whose fault it was."
Ethan: He just looks up at me with total disappointment. "Hers."

How was I to know it would ruin his whole day? If only my life were that simple that my day would be ruined over chocolate milk.

On the way home I asked him why he didn't just tell me about the dolls. He said, "I would have, but you just didn't give me any time to explain." Admittedly I was quite impatient with him while trying to coax him out of the car. Mistake #4: Not taking the time to listen to my child's concerns.
Parenthood is definitely a learning experience. 4 great life lessons learned!

7 comments:

Emma Jo said...

That is a seriously sweet boy you have there. A seriously sweet boy crazy about his chocolate milk...and at least he doesn't LOVE dolls, that could be weird.

Bree said...

Hey Wendy, its Brianne, from soccer-I mean that very loosely. I peeked in on you from Lori's blog. Poor Ethan :( -if it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't have realized that would ruin a whole day either, it did make me smile though. I love how cute and simple kids are.

Kate said...

Don't feel bad. I make mistake #4 about 16 times a day. We're all learning together!

Unknown said...

I was laughing the whole way through this. is that mean?

you should make him chocolate milk all day today:)

Wendy said...

I have to add, that before he went up to Courtneys he went to a buddy's house and his mom got him some chocolate milk because he complained about not getting any at school. Then, the next day he conned Chad into getting him some at the doughnut store because he didn't get any at school. The child is not deprived of chocolate milk.

Holly said...

That is so funny. Ethan is such a nut. I can kind of understand the doll issue. I couldn't go to sleep when I was little unless every doll I owned was in the shut closet. In the day they were okay, at night...scary. Is that him in the dryer? Isaac's been thinking that's his little hangout lately too. Nutty kids.

Nances said...

Love your posts! Ethan is a cutie! Just get him his chocolate milk! It was fun having you guys--next time your up give us a ring:) I totally agree with your AI comments, I'm still bugged about Jamar.