I love my mom, and for the past thirtysomething years that I've known her, she's taught me many things. Here are a few:
1. There are many things in life you don't want to do, but you just do it anyway. There are many things you have to deal with, and you just deal with it. And you don't complain about it. I haven't heard one complaint from her as she's currently fighting colon cancer. Sometimes I even forget she has it because she never even mentions it.2. To be kind to all and non-judgemental.
3. Before I went to college she made sure to teach me how to make a white sauce. Very basic, yet very important.
4. To appreciate the small and simple things in life. Like ice cold water, for instance. I think everytime she drinks it she praises its goodness. She also taught me to appreciate shooting stars as she and I would sleep under the stars just to watch them. She taught me to stop and appreciate the beauty that is all around us.
5. To be healthy and to have a green salad with every dinner, except when you have tacos, then fruit salad is ok. I think that's why to this day I crave fruit whenever I eat a taco.
6. To do your best. You know that anything my mom does will be done to the best of her abilities and very meticulously (almost too meticulously). One of the biggest ways to offend my mom is by telling her there's a bug on one of her salad leaves that she has so meticulously washed. You'd tell her the bad news and she'd exclaim, "How could that be, I washed every single one of those leaves by hand!"
7. That it's ok to be forgetful, you're still a good person. I remember her leaving the house and coming back multiple times because she forgot different things.
8. She's a very determined and stubborn soul. Once she gets her mind on something its very hard to change her mind unless there's cold, hard proof. You think that's where I get it??
9. In her quiet, yet stalwart way she always taught me to love and live the gospel.
10. To be humble. My mom is the most humble person I know, to the point where she won't admit any of her great attributes. Take a compliment mom! (Just like I'm learning to do).
11. To always further your education. I can remember her always taking photography and art classes at the local community college growing up.
12. Your never too old to try new things as she did this last Christmas. While we went sledding she got on a snowboard for the first time ever. And she did it (with two men holding both her arms of course). If it sounds fun, my mom wants to try it.
Its amazing what you can learn just from watching someone. Mom, you're wonderful and I love you!!
Isn't she cute??
6 comments:
And even when you do offer her cold, hard proof about something, she still doubts. She might not say it, but you can see it in her eyes! :) Love our mama!!! Great post, Wendy.
She sounds like quite am amazing person and very pretty. Good genes for you! Now don't take too long posting about Disneyland. I was so jealous of you three this last week:)
I miss seeing your mom! Please tell her I said hello. She is such an amazing woman and you are doing a great job following in her footsteps! I'm so sorry to hear about her colon cancer. Please tell her she's in our thoughts and prayers! Glad you had a great time at Disneyland!
I will never forgot that Lynette had a quote on her fridge that said, " Boring people are often bored." I find myself saying that often.
And my always said that your mom should be translated.
I've been thinking about this post for days. What an amazing mother you have and good for you for making such a wonderful tribute.
Your Mom is wonderful. I have great childhood memories of her. And I absolutely loved her homemade maple syrup too......yummy - does she still make it? Tell her "hello" from me.
Post a Comment