Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Cracked The Code

Every Halloween I try and figure out the best way to regulate the candy eating without Ethan getting sick and me not getting annoyed with him asking me ALL DAY LONG for candy. I've heard suggestions that I kinda like but haven't totally embraced, but yesterday I had an epiphany. I got it! I think I cracked the Halloween candy code this year (at least for this 5 year old).

This is what I'm doing: Every morning he gets to pick 4 candies he wants for the whole day and he puts them in a ziplock. He then gets free reign of that candy. He can eat it whenever he wants. He can eat it all at once if he chooses or he can spread it throughout the day. Genius! Why didn't I think of it sooner?? As he explained the plan to Chad and one of his cousins he got all excited when he got to the part when he can eat it whenever he wants and he doesn't even have to ask me. Voila, we're all happy. He has the freedom to eat it whenever he wants and I don't hear him ask me for candy all day. Today he chose to eat it all within 20 minutes after lunch but he never asked for more. I'm probably the last to know about this plan and now I'm wondering why nobody told me about it.I forgot to add these 2 pics to the Octoberfest post. All the kindergarten classes got to make these scarecrows. I think they're cute. Ethan named his 'Fire Nip' (it's the one to the right of him in the blue and white striped shirt).
Ethan's last day of soccer where they got a little trophy. His first one.

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Brilliant! I also love the music you have on your blog. It reminds me of our time listening to music in your car (with the leaking sunroof) in the Monte Vista parking lot! ;)

Carrie Ann said...

Since I have never heard of that plan before, you get full credit and I think you're the smartest mom EVER.

Courtney said...

Agreed with Carrie. You're a smartie-pants. Its a candy plan that makes so much sense and seems so normal. Why hasn't anyone figured it out before? Go Wendy! I'll use it in a few years. Until then, I will continue enjoying Maddie's candy, for the most part, by myself!!

Holly said...

You're a genius! I tried the plan yesterday just to be sure that you really were a genius and....YOU ARE! Isaac loved that he doesn't have to ask me if he can eat his four treats and now he knows that once they're gone-that's it. Duh! Why did I not think of this before? Instead, I suffered through him asking me every freaking ten minutes if he can have a treat. Thanks for posting this Einstein!

Emily said...

I will be sure to remember your genius idea for when Evan is older and begging for candy!

To answer your question from my blog: Housing is really hard to find because so many people are moving there because of the good paying jobs. They can't keep up with the demand for housing. There are also few houses to buy in our price range. People can charge a lot of money for rent too because people need places to live and will pay a lot... except we can't pay the expensive rent! I'll have another housing update soon...

Mike and Kelli said...

who the heck is voila? look out for that cue ball!! from mike

Parke Family said...

Hey guys! Just thought I would say hello. I can't believe how big Ethan is. What a cutie. Where does the time go? Good idea about the candy. Glad to catch up with your family.

Anonymous said...

Hello I am just a lurker who found you via the Bybee's. We are way past Halloween but I always think this is an interesting topic.

I have 5 kids 2 grown and out of the house so my kids are older now. I have done alot of Halloween's.

I always let them have their whole bag of candy and said "Eat it!".

I know it sounds crazy but believe me that candy is gone in 3 or 4 days. I LIKE IT GONE!

The benefits to this are: you don't have to mess with giving it out everyday for months and your kids teeth only suffer for a few days.

Note: I never had anyone get sick and I never had any Halloween candy left after the first week of November:)