If I hear a song that I LOVE, I want to listen to it over and over again until I'm sick of it and then I'll listen some more. If I don't own it then I will go far and wide to get it.For example: Way back in the 80s I loved watching the show Family Ties and when Alex P. Keaton and Ellen broke up I was heartbroken (All you Family Ties fans should remember that episode) and what made it even more heartwrenching was the song they played during their break up - 'What did you think, I would do at this moment, when you're standing before me, with tears in your eyes... ' After that episode and over the next few years I would periodically remember that song and want to hear it again (to relive the drama I guess?). I eventually started scouring the music stores to find that song (this was pre-internet days). Any music store employee I found I'd explain where I first heard it, and at times I'd even try and sing a little of it to them. After many music stores later I actually met someone who knew what I was talking about. The name of the song was At This Moment by Billy Vera and the only way I could get it was by ordering it on a 9 inch record (this was in the cassette days) which of course I did.
Another example: In high school, Brittany and I drove to Napa, CA (about an hour from where we grew up) and listened to the same song, Come On Eileen by Dexis Midnight Runners, THEE WHOLE TIME - there and back - that ONE song. Its so good to find a friend who loves a song as much as you do isn't it? So the point is, in case you haven't noticed, I can get pretty obsessive about a song I REALLY love. Luckily for me, the internet has made it a lot easier to find songs I'm looking for.
This is where Ethan comes in: When it comes to music he is SO like me. For one, if he likes a song he wants to listen to it over and over and he wants to listen to it loudly. He will also notice a small part in a song and want me to rewind that little part over and over again - That is SO me.
A quirky example: Back in my Ricks days, I was grocery shopping with a friend (Brittany should remember this) and anything he pulled off the shelf he always pulled from the back, he never pulled the front package and we asked him why he did this and he said "because it's been looked at too much." That always stuck with me, which means that I too always avoid taking the front package cause, well, 'it's been looked at (and handled) too much'. Weird, I know. Hopefully I haven't tainted anyone who may be reading this. SO that brings me to Ethan. The other day at the store he grabbed some ice cream bars out of the freezer and he avoided the front box and grabbed the box behind it. Chad and I looked at each other and laughed and Chad goes, "Wow, mom has really taught you well." And Ethan says, "What? That's what you guys do." I never even knew he noticed.
It makes me realize how much our kids are watching us and makes me want to be and do better.
12 comments:
Wendy, that's funny. I could have been reading that post about myself - I do ALL of those things! (My current song is "Read my Mind" by the Killers.)
I love it. Great post!
It is hard for me to get mad at my son Jeddy. he "solves" all his problems himself.
Can't find glue for a craft he gets the honey out. He wants the forbidden treat on the fridge . .so he scales the cabinets and get to the fridge replaces the forbidden with something else that is now forbidden and then proceeds to eat 2 lbs of m & m's or and entire batch of cookies.
he gets that from me. he is a problem solver, he is right brained, crazy, full of energy, and he gets it all from me. how can I get mad at that.
thanks for the reminder to be a better example. It is so true the smallest things they pick up.
sorry to drag on. we are headed up to the reunion. are you guys. I would love to meet you in person.
Kim
I love that song! The "when you're standing before me with teeaaarrrs in your ey-es" one.
"What do you think...I'd give at this moment? If you'd stay I'd subtract twenty yeeeaaarrrs from my life. I'd fall down on my knees, kiss the ground that you walk on, if I could just hooollllddd you again" (saxophone solo follows)
All right, thanks for the trip down memory lane with that. Now I need to go youtube that song :)
Ha. I love those things that make people quirky and endearing. I get songs stuck in my head and have to tap out the rhythm making sure that the song ends on my left foot or I do it again. Kids are funny.
And your pictures from the last post are absolutely unreal! The most gorgeous things I think I have ever seen!
I agree that it is a trip to see your kid doing the things that you do! But at least one of the things is your music obsession. I think I'm passing on things that are a little too short sighted... like when I hear Afton walking around saying "this is just too messy in here" I realize I say those few words way too much!
By the way, your photos of Yellowstone are incredible! I simply HAVE to go now, no more excuses.
I do that too with music. And I find myself getting mad if someone starts talking right when that very best part of the song is playing. I seriously get angry! So irrational.
Sadly, I got the "taking the back package" from you, so you're not only influencing your kin! ;)
wendy, you know you remind me of someone. i totally related to your post. i remember josh getting sick of me listening to the righteous brothers song from "Ghost", over and over in my room. it made me remember the part of the movie that made me cry, so i would listen to it, and cry. kind of gay for a 14 year old I know. i do love music too.
i remember listening to the "5000 miles" song, over and over, i thought with you and some of the grapes, but i could be wrong. anyway, funny funny
Ben
I've loved hearing about your funny quirks and its good to know that I'm not alone.
BUT no one has commented on that Family Ties episode. Doesn't anyone else remember it? And if so were you not as affected as I?
I loved family ties. In fact, after Anna was born we lived with Jake's Dad for 6 months and she would wake up every morning at 5:30 and I would take her down stairs and watch Family Ties while she played. I liked the younger years better, though, so I don't remember being as touched by that specific episode. You should have told me way back when and I would have helped you find the song. I remember lots of songs we got obsessed about together.
I always felt so blessed to find you, my soul friend.
I still take stuff from behind the first one, too, but maybe not as obsessively. good ol' mitchel mack.
I'm still the same way. Do you have an ipod? It tells you how many times you've listened to every song. it makes me laugh. Jake gets all annoyed because he doesn't listen to the same song over and over again, so I have to restrain myself...until I'm alone. Luckily my kids don't mind--they do the same thing.
I think I remeber listening to 500 miles with you, Ben. I'm so happy I get to see you and meet your awesome wife!
You could be a writer, Wendy. You can put your thoughts into words so well and it's fun to read! I'm afraid to say that last time I went to the grocery store...I thought of your blog and choose a different cereal. I'll probably never be the same...thanks.
Ok so now I think I am going to grab the back items, thanks haha. I actually already do that to produce and bread. Logan and katelyn both have songs we listen to a hundred times in the van but I am guilty of doing to my fav. songs as well!! I did watch family ties but must have missed that one?? I will be checking you tube. And I agree with your friend Laura, you could be a write. I have always thought that your express yourself so well and make it easy to read, enjoyable and plenty of entertainment when appropriate!!! Cant wait to see ya at GNO on Thur.
Post a Comment