Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Christmas Tidbits

This year I made myself wait to decorate or listen to Christmas music until December 1st. I think that November should get full Thanksgiving attention and December gets full Christmas attention. Plus it made the anticipation for December to come all that much more exciting. On Saturday we spent 5 hours setting up our Christmas decor. Two of the hours was spent actually putting up our a little bit outdated, fake Christmas tree - branch by branch - Chad is the one to thank for that. I have to admit that I do love real trees more than fake, but we got this 9 footer from Courtney for free, so that beats spending $70 on a tree that will die in a few weeks.
This is Ethan doing the honors of putting the star on the tree. Actually this is just a posed picture because he was a little nervous to go that high. My favorite part of this picture is the foil on the rabbit ears in the background.
I have to say that Ethan has quite the decorative eye when it comes to dressing the Christmas tree.
I bought this cedar garland to help bring some "realness" into the decor since we have a fake tree this year. I was really looking forward to its nice fresh scent, but instead I get annoyed every time I pass it because it smells like mildew. Yuck! But it still looks pretty - I'll give it that much.
I got crafty today and made a Christmas card holder which I think is so cute. But I can't take any credit for it, I give all credit to Arah. She also made the cutest button tree that I would also like to make sometime.

And this is Ethan in his new winter garb.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

Mildew?? Gross. Where did you get yours? Got mine from Lowes, but it doesn't smell like mildew. Actually, I just went and sniffed it and...it doesn't smell like anything!!! How sad--are they putting hormones in these trees to get them to grow quickly? Which in turn causes them to lose their fresh, cedar smell? :) We W-women--we really need our stuff to smell good, don't we?

The Bullocks said...

I love your Christmas card holder, I'm totally copping. I love your tree, Ethan did a good job. Katie

arah said...

Ethan did a terrific job on the tree. Your card holder is cute...easy to make, huh!
Did the star actually fit on top of your Christmas tree? Your house looks so festive, I just wasn't in the mood so much this year. Our tree is kinda sad. It's about the only thing I put up other than stockings and an advent calendar. At least Brinley is happy with it.

Emily said...

My mom and I made the Carrot Cookies with orange frosting today! VERY good! We'll see how long they last. :)

The Barney's said...

hey wendy, your card holder def. turned out better than mine but i am still happy with it. the mildew smell of the garland, that is gross. see ya at GNO lori

Nortorious said...

Nice, but needs more raffia.

Nances said...

Your house looks so festive!! I love the posed picture of Ethan, it's just what you gotta do sometimes though--fake it for the pictures. Way cute card holder is it hard to do?
I loved your post about black friday--you almost make me want to be apart of it next time.

eBay said...

Good idea on the card tree! And also, I'm glad that Thanksgiving has an advocate! I agree that Christmas gets enough attention. :) You crack me up Waz