
I recently watched one of my all time favorite movies, Dan In Real Life. One of the closing lines of the movie is when Steve Carell "Dan" is talking about what to tell your children about life. He says, (not a direct quote, but really close) "teach them that life is full of surprises. Expect to be surprised." That line has really never stuck with me in the past, but this time it stuck and has never made more sense than it does now.
About a month ago Chad and I put our house on the market. We've been scouring the area looking for the perfect house, in the perfect neighborhood, in the perfect school district, in the perfect ward where we'd make perfect friends. All the while keeping the house ready to show with a two year old who likes to undo my doing while I'm doing it. It's not easy! It also felt like we were pushing a square peg in a round hole. Something about it just didn't fit and recently we were on the fence about whether it was time to move or not (truthfully, in my heart of hearts I didn't think we would end up moving, but was something I seemed to push out of my mind sometimes).
A surprise recently came when many ward boundaries in our stake changed, ours being one of them. About 80% of our ward broke off and became its own ward. The 20% where I live has now been combined between 3 different wards. We now even attend church in a different building. The change felt exciting, and because I knew we would be moving it didn't totally affect me all that much. Chad and I got called into the Bishop's office early Sunday morning to receive callings. On the car ride over I very confidently said, "You know what's cool about getting callings when you're moving, you get easy callings." (BTW, NEVER say that). So you can imagine my shock when I was called as the Relief Society President. Surprise! And I bet the reaction I gave the Bishop was every Bishop's dream reaction to such a calling, "You're kidding, right? This is a joke."(repeat 3x) On Monday our For Sale sign came down. Surprise! We're not moving...The Lord had other plans.
BTW the way, the look on Steve Carell's face in that picture is not at all related to how I feel about my new calling, unless he looks overwhelmed, than it's very much related to how I feel. :)
1 comment:
Waz, you will be awesome! They are a lucky group of ladies! :)
Post a Comment