I've gotta try be more current with my posts instead of always playing the catch up game. I'll post about February (it's a must, since it's Gavin's birthday month) a little later...
Yesterday I came home from dropping Ethan off at school. I left my garage door open since I was planning on leaving within a 1/2 hour. Pretty much as soon as I got inside the house, Tito starts barking from the laundry room (which adjoins the garage) so I peak out the door to see what he's barking at. A guy had pulled up and stopped at the end of my driveway in between my house and my neighbors. I watched to see what he was doing. I just assumed he was a friend of my neighbors, but he starts walking up my driveway. 'Uh oh, what does this guy want.' He stopped right before entering my garage, and stands there with a hand in his sweatshirt pocket. Maybe I've watched too many Datelines but I wouldn't have been surprised if he had a weapon hiding in there. He told me he just dropped off his kids at school and needed gas money to get to work. Uh huh, sure. I tell him sorry, no. And as he turned to walk over to my neighbors I immediately closed my garage door. I got a bad feeling about him and knew he was up to no good. I especially didn't believe a word he said since we live in a different neighborhood from the school and why would he waste gas by working his way through my neighborhood all the way to my house and letting his car run as he's looking for "gas" money.
I peaked out my front window to see what he was up to. I see him get into his car and drive two houses down to my other neighbor's house in my cul de sac. I watched him walk up to her house, which also has the garage door wide open. I tried to quietly go out my front door to get his license plate number but he immediately saw me. I wave at him, to show him that I was on to him. And then I wave him away and yelled across the cul de sac, "See ya!" He yells back, "What, I can't ask for money?" "No!" I yell back. "Well, I need gas money!" "Then why are you wasting your gas? I'm getting your license plate number right now!" "I'm late for work!" He responds. "Then go to work! Get out of my neighborhood!" By that time he gets back in his car and drives off. But of course I couldn't get close enough to get his license plate number.
Wow, where did that come from?? Seriously, that confrontation really isn't like me. It's like something came over me and all of a sudden I felt empowered and thought I was the mama bear of the neighborhood. Later, as I was thinking about it, I thought, "Wow, I was pretty rude." And I second guessed myself and thought maybe he really did need money for gas. But then I have to remind myself that none of his words or behavior made any sense. And I know I need to go with my gut feeling about him. So, I think I'm justified in being rude. Right? This happened a couple hours before an old couple drove passed me going the wrong way on the road. I felt like I was in the twilight zone.
That experience reminded me the importance of being more careful. You never know who's out there and what their intentions are.
2 comments:
I love that you said something to him!! Go Wendy! You can watchdog my neighborhood anytime. Just think what could have happened if you hadn't done anything at all (no, scratch that. Don't think about it.)
Oh Wendy...I have totally been there. I shooed a guy out of my house after my kids let him in one night, he was "selling suckers" to make extra money, and he was dragging some little tiny kid around with him. It was dark, cold...and I just thought his whole story was bogus. As soon as I shut the door, I called the police...mostly because I was concerned about the little kid. Sometimes you have to go with what you feel. I am glad we have a big dog in the garage that barks a scary bark....even if he is harmless. You go girl!
Post a Comment