Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year

Gavin decided to start 2012 off with a major milestone. As of January 3rd he is now officially a crawler!! I love to watch this early stage of crawling - so slow, so focused on that destination not that far away. It's cute. This week he also started clapping. Actually it was the same day he started crawling. So January 3rd was a big day for Gavers, and for us too! Not to mention he's got 4 teeth coming through on top. It's really cute to see Ethan get all excited over these little milestones that Gavin achieves.

As I've reflected on 2011 I've felt really grateful. It was a really good year! Ethan turned 8 and got baptized. Chad's had steady work in a rough economy. And a lot of my gratitude is because of this guy. 2011 started out in anticipation of his arrival and then the rest of the year was spent celebrating his arrival. His entrance into my life has filled that missing part that couldn't be filled by anyone but him. He is loved and adored by all of us here at my house, but especially by me.

It's been a bit of a rough year for my mom. She's still fighting cancer. The cancer is no longer in her colon where it started (which is wonderful) but has continued to invade her liver this year. In March I found out that she had a tumor in her liver and the doctor gave her a life expectancy that was way too short for my liking. It was around that time that I realized the gravity of the situation and really mourned the potential loss of my mother for the first time since her original diagnosis. She underwent a procedure called RFA (where they target just the tumor and burn it to death) twice as the tumor came back in her liver two times. The tumor came back a third time and she was sent to Seattle to have a specialist surgically remove about 25% of her liver. Luckily livers grow back. There were some tense moments during her recovery where she was delirious and fluids were filling up around the liver. During the time she was really out of it and delirious we had a family fast. She also received a blessing from the local missionaries. It was that next morning after the blessing that she woke up as Lynette, and no longer her delirious alter ego. See? Miracles do happen! She got tested a month or so ago and her cell count looks great and the doctor deemed her "cured." Which of course we all take with a grain of salt. Even though there were ups and downs this year with my mom's health, I feel so grateful that at this moment, she's cancer free and she's still here with me!!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Wendy! Congratulations--he is absolutely beautiful and adorable and I'm thrilled to hear of his addition to your family. I didn't know about your mom, I am so sorry. I really need to get in touch with Courtney. Wow, what a rough time for all of you but thrilled to hear about the miracles happening!

Suzanna said...

I am glad i took the time to read your blog. I am honored to be friends with such a loving, grateful, and talented writer. ; )

Just one more comment...I wish I could belike Gavin, crawling with slow determination, scoping out my surrounds, soaking it all in, and seeking for my next target to destroy. Oh wait you didn't mention his getting into stuff, oh well, that will come, if not already.

ANG said...

How wonderful about your mom. She's a sweet lady. ANd - oh that GaVIN - joy. I'm so happy for you!

Starnes fam said...

What a happy ending to the year and beginning to the new. Your baby is absolutely DARLING. His eyes and eyelashes are to die for!

The Crazy Heads said...

what a wonderful year for you.