Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Believe In Miracles

On Thursday evening when I got home from a meeting, Chad relayed a message to me that Courtney had left, telling us that my sister-in-law Kathy had gotten in a car accident, but that she was ok. Keep in mind that I have a sister-in-law named Kathy and her daughter's name is Cassi. You can imagine that this would be very confusing when talking about either one of them on the phone. We tend to spend the first minute of a phone conversation just deciphering who we're talking about. Conversations have been known to go something like this: "Now wait, are you talking about Kathy the mom or Cassi the daughter?" "KaTHY with a K or CaSSI with a C?" (emphasis added) "Wait, KaTHY or Cassandra?" Once we're satisfied about whom we're speaking it is only then that we may move on with the conversation. Its always somewhat humorous.

Anyway, upon hearing the news, I called Courtney to get more details. It was then that I found out that it wasn't KaTHY, but CaSSi who was in the car accident and was air lifted to the hospital and was in critical condition. Cassi was a passenger in her friend Sam's car. As they were making a left hand turn their car was t-boned by another car going 55 miles an hour. Their car was pushed up on its side and Cassi had been knocked unconscious. One of the first people on the scene was an off duty firefighter. The firefighter instructed someone to turn Cassi's head in a way that she wouldn't choke on her own vomit. An action that saved her life. Guess where her vomit ended up? Right on her friend Sam. (Just a fun little fact). While in the car waiting for help Sam couldn't get Cassi to respond so he lifted his hand up and gave her a Priesthood blessing. Another action which I believe saved her life. They had to cut Cassi out of the car and then airlifted her to the hospital. After much testing, they have found that Cassi has bruising on her lungs and some scratches on her legs. The doctors are amazed that those are her only injuries. No internal bleeding. No broken bones. And she's alive! It really is a miracle. She's doing ok. In some pain of course, but they're hoping she can leave the hospital today. Its times like these that I realize how precious life is. Life as I know it can change at any moment and it helps me appreciate all those important people in my life even more.

In the way of other news: My mom's surgery went well and she is recovering splendidly.

4 comments:

ANG said...

Wow. Best of luck to her!

Emma Jo said...

Oh my goodness. That is very scary news to hear about family. But I am so touched by the miracles and especially love her friend giving her a blessing and even placing his hand on her head. I love this gospel.

Ashley said...

Oh wow! What a miracle. I am so glad to hear Cassi is doing so well. And your mom!!!!

momofbeegees said...

Hey Wendy friend...I just "tagged" you on my blog. Check it out!!