So I started talking about how much I LOVED kindergarten. I went in the afternoon and I remember just longing to go to school. The afternoon didn't come soon enough. It was an 'If You Give A Moose A Muffin' moment as I started to reminisce about the good ol' elementary school days. Then of course I had to whip out the old scrapbooks of my schoolwork. Which of course I had to look at all the old pictures and read all my "squiggle stories" (as they were called) to Ethan, which he actually enjoyed. I noticed I used the word weird a lot and spelled bushes 'booshes' - I love those phonetic spellings that kids do. Then there was a light bulb moment of this blog post. And who knows, maybe we'll end the day with Ethan's complaints about school again.

Ahhh....squiggle stories. Its the one thing I remember about 2nd & 3rd grade (except for stapling two of my fingers together). Did anyone else do these? The teacher draws a funky line on a paper and then you create a picture out of it. Then from the picture you write a story. I loved them. I also loved how every Friday my teacher popped popcorn during lunch recess and the smell would come wafting out the windows. Then we'd come in from recess and eat the popcorn while some of the students read their squiggle stories. Oh, those happy childhood memories...


This is my class in 2nd grade. If I were in Facebook I'd tag the people I'm facebook friends with, which is 7 of them. Can you guess which one I am?
6 comments:
What a fun post. I'm impressed that you still have your schoolwork and class pic. Which one are you?
How fun! Props to your awesome mom for saving and scrapbooking all that stuff. Mmm...I'm guessing you are the girl on the second row from the top, far right side.??? Total guess.
Disneyland looked fun too. i"m glad you guys had a good time.
Yep, you're right Holly, you found me.
that's who I was going to guess:)
I can't believe that you still have this! That's awesome. I don't remember much about...well anything. sad. I do remember that I could never remember how to spell "purple" and that my teacher kept sending me back to my desk to fix my "j" but I could never figure out what was wrong! Turned out that I was writing it backwords and I was so releived when she finally told me that I never got it wrong again.
Seven?? really? you're friends with 7 of them on FB? That's just craziness. But I moved after 2nd grade, so how would I still be friends with them I suppose.
okay I'll stop babbling.
Oh Wendy.... this is fabulous. I was just thinking about you and thought I'd check out your blog - love it. I totally remember the squiggles and Blee Money - do you remember that? We earned Blee money for turning in hw on time, behaving, etc. And every Friday (I think it was Friday) we could buy treats (I don't remember any toys, just treats) from the Blee store. How fun. And wow, my Mom sure dressed me up for this class picture - you can tell I was the only girl in the family. Hope all is well :).
P.S. I also remember you stapling your fingers together - I vaguely remember walking you to the office to see the school nurse :).
Post a Comment