Here's Ethan eating his hearty breakfast of Malt-o-Meal and eggs and looking a little nervous, although he said he was kind of excited.
The before school snapshots.
Trying SO hard to be brave and to not let those tears flow.
And then he just couldn't hold it anymore.
And here's the post-kindergarten snapshot in front of the school. You can see the relief in his face. He did it!He came out of his class and the first thing he told me was that he didn't cry. Yay! After I had to pretty much push him into the classroom and help him find a spot on the rug, I knew he'd be just fine. He told me that he met a few friends although he didn't really play with them. He also told me that he didn't play at recess but just stood by the teacher. Baby steps right? Later on in the day Ethan said, "The people were right, kindergarten is pretty fun." And the good news is, he wants to go back tomorrow and he says he won't even cry.
And as for me, well I felt slightly verklempt (its the right spelling - I checked), but not enough to shed any tears. Chad and I chuckled on the way back to the car as we saw a fellow kindergartner dad comforting the sobbing kindergartner mom.
19 comments:
Oh! So he really isn't my sweet baby nephew anymore! He's really a kid now, huh? But I can tell he's going to be a great, and studious, student. Teacher's dream.
he is so cute! He looks so grown up. congratulations on getting through the first day of kindergarten...to you for not breaking down and to Ethan for not crying and making new friends. Way to go buddy!
I asked Ali if she made any friends today. She said another girl named Ally and Ethan. When I told her she was already friends with Ethan she said, "yah, but he was still my friend today." I hope they can be buddies for each other when they get scared or lonely.
That crying picture almost made me cry! . . . that is a sad, sad picture, but definately a black-mail one too! :)
They're growin' up and we can't stop them. I am glad Ethan had a good first day. He looks so cute on his big day.
He looks SO grown up! Oh man...I'm so glad I have one more year before Isaac's there. I know I'm going to be one of "those sobbing moms". I'm glad he liked it. He'll make lots of friends by next week, I bet. He likes superheroes--he's in like butter. (hahaha!!--your use of the word "Verklempt" made me think of that SNL skit with Mike Meyers doing "Debra with Coffee Talk" where she's always using the words verklempt and butter) haha!
I cried reading that post! I don't know how you made it through--I will DEFINITELY be the sobbing mom on the first day of Kindergarten.
Wow all grown up now. It's crazy that all the babies of the Pines ward when I first moved in are all starting kindergarten. I'll be there next year, and it blows my mind how fast our babies grow. Ethan is awesome
He was telling me on Sunday that he was kind of nervous but thought it would probably end up being fun. Glad he made it! And you too. :)
So cute . . . what a big day! I'm glad he made it. Have fun with that time all to yourself each day!
Ahhh...super cute.
Way to go, Waz!! Ethan looks tons older than earlier this month (maybe it's the faux hawk).
there is a large (and growing) group of moms at my school that always go out to brunch on the first day so it's more of a party and not so sad.
Be glad that you don't have full day like we do (though I'm glad we do)!
Yeah! You did it and I am so happy to see happy boy face at the end of the day so he knows now that all is well!! What a fun time! Now go and enjoy all those hours of solitude (take a nap for me!)
Malto-meal! I am impressed! It has been a long time since I have heart those blessed words. I remember the commercials of the kids playing out in the snow, and wanting a big bowl of Malto-meal! Classic!
It is so exciting when kids start school! He is adorable!
oh, waz. this is so cute. I feel for the little guy. and he looks soooo BIG with his haircut! baby steps are good.
CONGRATS! You have a child in school! What are you doing in your 2:55 alone time?
I said to Todd, "Look, it was Ethan's first day of school... isn't he cute?" Todd said, "Ethan's so cool... let's steal him." That's a compliment (Todd style), not a threat.
WHOA! Ethan is in kindegarten. You guys must be getting SO OLD!
wendy I can't believe how grown up Ethan looks. it kills me. he is so big. what a trooper. I'm glad he liked school. for some reason I thought he had one more year before the big K.
and I loved your post about Moses. that was neat to hear your perspective. so did you say that you have a birth mom? I hope I understood that right. that would be so great. You are such an amazing mom, and I can't wait for you to take in a new sweet baby.
Post a Comment