Friday, September 19, 2014

I Believe

I'm a curious soul. When it comes to other people's beliefs and practices, I love to know what makes people tick, what the beliefs are behind the practices. For this reason, I feel compelled to write this post, partly to let others know what I believe, and why I am the way I am, and partly to clear up many misconceptions of my religious beliefs.

Sometimes people call us Mormons, LDS, or Latter-day Saints. We often call ourselves that, but those are just nicknames. The true name of the church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are many ideas and misconceptions swirling around out there about my religious beliefs, but from what I've gathered, despite what many think we believe, many have a certain respect for us Mormons. Often we're known to be honest, upstanding citizens. People usually know that we don't drink coffee or alcohol. That we don't swear, and that generally we try to be good, decent human beings. What I want to explain are the beliefs behind these practices. Ie. Why don't we drink coffee or alcohol? etc.

I was once told by someone not of my faith that they heard that we, as Mormons, believe that we have to have a lot of kids in order to make it into heaven. I'll just clear that misconception up right now. That's not true. The amount of children one has and their entrance into heaven are not related.

So you can see, that's just one of many misconceptions. I want tell you what I believe as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But before I do, let me emphasize that I'm not a spokesperson for my church, this is just what I believe.

I believe in God. I also refer to Him as my Heavenly Father or Father in Heaven. He is a Supreme Being with flesh and bone (He's not a spirit). He is immortal. He is perfect. He is all powerful. He is all knowing. He is an all loving Father. That means he loves every last one of us. The good and the evil. We are His children. He's not scary to me, only loving, just, and merciful. And because He loves each of us, He has a plan for us, so that we can return and live with Him someday. I say "return and live with Him" because before we were born on this earth, we were first spirits and we lived with our Heavenly Father. He taught us and tutored us and prepared us for our life here. Our lives didn't start the day we were born. (Just read Jeremiah 1:5 in the Old Testament and you'll know what I'm talking about). We had a pre-earth life as spirits and gained our bodies when we were born here.

I believe in Jesus Christ. I also refer to Him as my Savior and Redeemer. He has a body of flesh and bone. He is resurrected and immortal. He lives! He is perfect. He is literally the Son of God. He was born of a virgin, Mary. He was a carpenter. He performed miracles. He healed the leprous, sick, and blind. He raised the dead. He taught. He forgives. He is mercy. He is grace. He is kind. He is love. He suffered every pain, sickness, agony, and sins of all mankind in the Garden of Gethsemane. He gave the greatest gift that anyone can give, he laid down his life for us on the cross. Three days after his death he was resurrected. He did it all because he loves us. He always does his father's will. God and Jesus Christ are Father and Son, they are one, not one body, but one in purpose. It is through Jesus Christ, his grace and mercy, that I too will be resurrected one day and I can return and live with my Heavenly Father. 

 My faith in God and Jesus Christ brings me hope and happiness. I feel at peace knowing where I came from, why I'm here, and where I'm going.

*I originally thought I would do this all in one post, but I quickly realized that I can be way to wordy and now plan on breaking it up into more posts.

1 comment:

ANG said...

You're awesome, Waz. Miss you. :)