Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Breathed Out Of My Mouth Today

Is it bad to breathe just out of my mouth while exercising? Well, I couldn't help it, I had to out of pure survival. Rule #1 while exercising in a group setting: NEVER wear powdery perfume. Especially while wearing 10x the amount you're supposed to wear in any given situation, and ESPECIALLY not while exercising in the front row while the fans are blowing the scent to everyone and anyone behind you. Isn't that something we all just naturally know? Apparently, not all of us have learned that very important lesson.

In this world there are two types of people - low self monitors and high self monitors. All sociology majors should be familiar with these terms. Low self monitors are not as aware of their surroundings as high self monitors are. For example:

low self monitor: She wears way too much perfume while exercising and doesn't even think it would be making someone else nauseous or give them a headache. It doesn't even cross her mind of the offense she's committing.
high self monitor: Would never wear perfume at all while exercising because she knows there are many people who are sensitive to strong perfumy scents.

low self monitor: In a group exercise setting she walks in, sees a little bit of empty floor space and plants herself there. She never looks around to see how close the other people are to her. This would be the same type of person that is wearing too much perfume.
high self monitor: She is very aware of how close others are to her. She would never plant herself directly in front of someone because she knows that each person deserves to see herself in the mirror. She will make sure she strategically places herself so she's not too close to anyone else, knowing that if she were too close it would only be an annoyance.

(Can you tell I had an interesting day in my dance class today?)

low self monitor: This person stands way too close in any line. They don't give the person in front of them any space. They find themselves stepping on the heels of the person in front of them. Or in some cases their basket grazes the back of the person in front of them and they don't even notice.
high self monitor: This person always makes sure they're not in the personal space of anyone in front of them. They make sure they give that person AT LEAST 3 feet of space between them and they teach their kids to do the same.

low self monitor: If this person is lost they will stop in the middle of the road to ask for directions without looking or caring to see if any other cars are behind them.
high self monitor: That type of behavior would make any high self monitor crazy. If this person were lost they would make sure to pull over to the side of the road and then ask for directions. This person would never dream of stopping in the road, especially if other cars are behind them.

There's a little Sociology 101 for ya. There are MANY more examples. I won't even go into the low self monitor talker.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or at the grocery store when low self-monitors are not realizing that their cart is in the middle of the aisle and they are at least 10 feet away! DRIVES ME NUTS!!!
BE AWARE PEOPLE....

jen said...

hahaha! This is hilarious to me! Hi! How are you? I found Courtney's blog and then I peeked at yours! :) Hope all is well. I love your blog, btw.

Courtney said...

That's one of the reasons I couldn't continue the class with you, Wendy. Too many people, too close. I guess that makes me in the high-self-monitor category. But sometimes isn't it nice to lower the monitor just a little? I think that's a more frequent occurance the older I get!!!

Holly said...

Jon and I definitely have a low self monitor in our midst. From this certain person we have experienced the stop in the middle of the road to ask for directions scenerio, the plop himself and his family down practically on another family at our kids soccer game (so awkward), and the new one that drives Jon crazy: Lets his kids run up and down the hall at the office where professionals are working. This low self monitor is completely oblivious and we're very close to calling him out! On the upside, Jon and I have entertaining conversations when we compare our new stories-conversations where we ask each multiple times, "Can you believe that?!"

Unknown said...

this is so true. and I never realized how much you and jake are alike until right now:)

Abby said...

Now I finally know why some people are so annoying! I think you listed some of my top pet peeves all in a row there, especially the standing too close one. Why does it make me want to turn around and push the person in the chest when they stand too close to me in a line and keep bumping my purse? I guess they can't even help it, they are low self monitors. Hmmm, does that make me a high self-monitor? Wow, I feel like I've just been through a therapy session! :)

Paige said...

Um, I think I might be LSM. But I still want to take a class with you b/c at least we'd laugh. You are hilarious. And super aware. And I'm not.

Jennie said...

Ahhh, you always knew that degree in Sociology would come in handy, right? Too funny...

Carolyn said...

This is hilarious. I love reading your posts. I think 99% of of the the 1.5 billion people in China are low self-monitors!

wenderful said...

I came over from Celia's blog. I loved this post! It's so true. I completely stay in the back of class and never wear any type of perfume first thing in the morning. I think all of my kids are low self monitors though. Does that change with age? I hope so. Love your blog.